Love is in the Hair

Posted by Prue Morland | 6:05 AM | 0 comments »

With Valentine's Day approaching, I got to thinking about dating … and hair because that's what I do. I realized that relationships are a lot like hairstyles. Some girls will try many different dos and do many different guys. Others stick with one their whole lives. Finding your perfect hairstyle is never easy, but when it happens – it's easy to take care of and makes you feel good about yourself, just like the perfect guy.

My first boyfriend was like when my hair was shiny and new. It was before I blow … er …dried or anything, so it was at its healthiest. As time went on, we broke up, and along with my first split, came split ends. It's common knowledge that after a break-up, a girl does something drastic to her hair.

So I cut my hair to match Jeanie Garth's pixie on Beverly Hills 90210. My round face is very UNLIKE Jeannie's petite features, so the cut looked hideous on me. This is like dating someone who everyone else thinks is cool, but doesn't really do it for YOU. Just because something looks good on someone else does not mean he should be on you.

Extensions were like dating a jealous boyfriend. They are SO high-maintenance. You can't pull too hard, must use all kinds of special shampoos, and they fall out. You can't do all the things you want to do, like swimming … because your bathing suit is "slutty-looking." And it's hard to part with them, difficult as they are, because so much effort was put into the upkeep. Needless to say, it was a relief to remove my extensions and that fool. Once they were gone, I felt free and light!

Highlights are fun, like a younger guy is fun. After he puked in my dresser drawer, it was time for him to grow up and my streaks to grow out.

What hair pitfall story would be complete without the PERM? And what relationship chronology would be complete without the damn-i-wish-i-hadn't-gone-out-with-him? Both sound like a great idea at the time. Friends will encourage you to "take a chance!" When you've got one, you never think it's that bad until you look back at it. Eventually, the curls grow out and you move on. But you'll always remember how stupid you looked at the time.

As for my current hair style? Well … it's short, dark, and bangs. >:)

0 comments